Software Development Manager
Collaborative team builder with strong leadership and communication skills.
Extensive experience in project, personnel and resource management in
an Agile environment. Fourteen years of Perl, Linux & web development
experience, primarily in applications and services for data management &
presentation. This includes designing and leading large scale, multi-year
projects from architecture to execution, working closely with the business,
stakeholders and implementers.
Seeking a senior developer, team lead, or development manager
role where I can use not only my development skills but also leverage
my years of proven experience in application design and team management.
Example Skills & Experience
CSS, RSS, jQuery, SQL, Informix (SPL), MySQL, ServerStudio, Apache, Perforce,
Subversion, Bugzilla, JIRA, Confluence, SSH, GPG, Selenium QA, XML, Agile, Scrum
Manager of Release Operations
Cambridge Interactive Development Corporation, February 2012 - Present
Responsible for managing all aspects of CIDC's
release process, from day-to-day operations to process improvements, as well
as providing development and test environment support.
- Lead a team of 3 Release Engineers.
- Ran the daily Release Control Board stand-up and ensured the status
of queued releases was communicated to the business daily.
- Began development of a tool for recording release instructions and
status, as well as automating releases, using Perl with Dancer & MySQL.
- Guided adoption of ChangeGear for managing the release process,
including specifying and documenting how each step would be managed and
- Began discussions with Development and QA Directors on formalizing
and how that could benefit our goal of Continual Integration
- Reviewed and prioritized the project backlog for improving automation
and testing within the release process.
Software Development Group Manager
Cambridge Interactive Development Corporation, June 2009 - Present
As a Group Manager I was responsible for managing
and mentoring my reports not just in technical matters but also as a personnel
manager, reporting to HR.
- Lead a team of 5 developers, striving to ensure
everyone delivered high quality work.
- Responsible for the long-term stability of the company's
Affiliate Management platform (EVA), acting as both Product Owner and Architect.
- Act as a technical lead on many additional projects beyond EVA.
- Coordinated work with other internal departments including Quality
Assurance, Release Engineering, Marketing and Affiliate Management.
- Continued as a primary organizer of CIDC's Infrastructure
- Technical lead on the implementation of CIDC's Perl
Runtime Environment, which decoupled the company's Perl based
tools and services from the OS version of Perl.
- Technical lead on the migration of Development, QA and
Staging resources to VMWare, with the goal of automated deployment.
- Mentored personnel within an Agile team environment, assisting with
the adoption of Scrum and participating in and encouraging ongoing training
in Agile processes
- Provided cross-departmental training in Perl
- Generally championed the adoption of a variety of Best Practices for
software development, and strongly encouraged my reports and teams to do
Sr. Software Engineer
Cambridge Interactive Development Corporation, March 2007 - June 2009
As part of the server-side development team, I
worked on nearly every portion of the company's software, both internal
management and customer facing.
- Worked as a primary developer on
the company's two highest profile, externally facing projects to
be released during this period.
- Involved in specification review,
timeline estimation, documentation, and release coordination for nearly
every project on which I was involved.
- Assigned as Development Liaison to the QA department.
- Introduced Selenium IDE to
CIDC, provided training for QA and Development, and
assisted in planning how to incorporate these tests in our processes.
- Involved in pilot project to introduce Selenium RC to the QA pipeline.
- Provided internal support and training on the use of the jQuery and
- Worked jointly with Release Engineering documenting the
company's SDLC, recommending the inclusion of certain Best
part of the SDLC.
- Helped form CIDC's Engineering Infrastructure Task Force,
and served as Server Side Developments representative.
- Won numerous quarterly awards and contributor appreciation bonuses
System Support 3
Bioinformatics Program, BMERC, Boston University Jan. 2004 - March 2007
Provided systems support and development
for the Bioinformatics
Program. Help the Center's graduate students and postdoctoral
fellows develop new tools to meet their own research goals, including
providing advice on good software development practices.
- Developed new methods for
prediction and classification of WD repeat containing sequences.
- Assisted in developing
specifications and bid review on 200+ CPU purchase.
- Improved and extended database
schema's, including incorporation of extended WD repeat library and
preliminary genome assemblies.
- Streamlined update procedures for new genomes.
- Provided genomic databases and tools for use on the BioWulf cluster.
- Developing a new student management system to meet the
specific needs of the program.
Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Molecular Biology
Sep. 2001 - Jan. 2004
Project leader for development of mission
critical applications for the MGH's
DNA Core, principally
Information Management System (LIMS).
- Spearheaded adoption of software
development best practices such as version control and setting up a
dedicated QA and documentation team.
- Coordinated representative users
and core managers to develop requirement specifications, and guided
development to meet those requirements and QA to validate project
- Integrated data management tools
for four subgroups within the DNA Core: Synthesis, Sequencing,
Bio-Automation and Microarray.
- Developed tools for incorporating
a wide range of high-throughput equipment for such tasks as
sequencing and oligonucleotide synthesis and support for product QC
and process control.
- Provided a web front end for
process management with secure (SSL) access from any computer on a
permitted network using any modern browser. System incorporates
group and user access controls to resources and data.
- Created a client interface for
placing orders for oligo synthesis and sequencing including tools
for tracking the progress of an order.
- Provided order and account reports suitable for import into
the existing billing proceedures, greatly improving the level of
automation in tracking customer orders and generating invoices.
Director of Informatics
Modular Genetics Inc. July 2001 - January 2003
Supervised specification, acquisition and
setup of new biotech company's IT resources.
- Designed network layout and
security measures to specifications required by contracts with
- Guided development of new tools
required to meet MGI's core requirements.
- Assisted in developing new
techniques to build on MGI's patents and IP to improve financial
viability and open new potential markets.
- Worked with lab managers and CTO
to develop procedures for managing project data, including log files
from, and protocols for using, high-throughput equipment.
- esigned initial specifications
for MGI's Information Management System
- Developed interim database for managing and storing MGI's
crucial Bioinformatics analysis.
BioMolecular Engineering Research Center, Boston University Dec. 1998 - Aug. 2001
Design, develop and maintain tools as
required to accomplish Center goals. Help the Center's graduate
students and postdoctoral fellows develop new tools to meet their own
research goals, including providing advice on good software
- Led code review and refactoring
effort in updating the BMERC's
protein functional profile analysis (PIMA)
tools, optimizing code and providing an API for incorporating PIMA
tools directly in other applications.
- Doubled the library of functional
profiles for use in domain dissection through development of a
procedure to iteratively create maximally diagnostic profiles from
large seed sets, such as the E. coli k12 genome.
- eveloped and maintained web site
for the BMERC , including web interfaces to many of the centers key
- Created a relational database and
tools for parsing and storing data on sequenced genomes from genbank
- Carried out the analysis of all newly sequenced genomes using
a large suite of software, both public (such as blast) and developed
in house (such as PIMA) and stored results in custom database.
IsleByte Inc. Jul. 1996 - May 1997
- Administrated a LAN with cross-mounted drives containing as many as
six PC's using Windows 95 or Linux, and one running OS/2.
- Maintained login accounts and system backups.
- Helped beta test and debug the custom software developed by the
- Secondary maintainer of company's SQL database.
- Assisted with customer support as necessary.
Consulting and Training Services
Experience consulting on projects ranging from large-scale
Bioinformatics projects to small community web sites. Facilitate
multiple day, hands-on workshops providing professional Perl
development training. Classes range from an introduction to Perl to
advanced Perl programming.
- Developed a user friendly front
end for a bio-tech company's internal Bioinformatics tools, meeting
a funding benchmark with a major international company licensing
them. This project was brought from behind schedule and largely
undocumented to being delivered early for final review.
- Designed a MySQL database to store
10's of millions of records for research lab, with links to
internally stored publicly available biological data. Participated
in general lab set up and designing the databases and tools needed
to meet long-term needs. This work has been directly used in a
publication and is a resource used behind additional publications.
- Developed custom training
curriculum including workshop examples designed to the interests and
needs of the clients field(s).
Patents and publications
- Active participant and organizer
in Boston Perl Mongers
since 1999, organized the monthly technical meetings from fall 2003
to spring 2005, and host the groups website.
- Developed complex gaming tools for
use by players of a browser-based multi-player online game with
40,000+ regular players at its peak. Work includes a FireFox extension which was
announced with '... has delivered the single best metagaming
tool yet to the UD world' by a prominent player.
- IT Committee member and Youth leader, Melrose
Unitarian Universalist Church.
- Past Master of Fidelity Lodge A.F. & A.M.
- Region coordinator for myCHIP
- Pack Master, Cub Scout Pack 609
References and letters of recommendation available upon request.